Projects per year
The different phases of each test are described in Figure 1. The data sampling rate is equal to 10ms.
1. The centrifuge is spun up to the final g-level (50g at mid-depth of the pile).
2. A period of rest (few minutes).
3. Installation of the pile at a given advancement ratio (AR), defined as the vertical displacement of the pile per rotation, normalised by the helix pitch (helix height, measured at mid-plate). The rotation rate is fixed at 3RPM and the vertical rate depends on the AR.
4. The torque motor is disengaged (torque is released) and another rest period is allowed.
5. The pile is uplifted of 10mm at a rate of 1mm/min.
6. (Optional) The pile is unscrewed up to the surface.
7. The centrifuge is spun down.
The measured data are given at model scale and their units indicated between brackets.
1. The vertical position [mm] of the pile, whose tip is initially one or two mm from the sand surface. The position is measured from the top and position downwards.
2. The vertical force [kN] at the top of the pile, which is positive downwards (pile in compression).
3. The torque [Nm] measured at the top of the pile, which is positive clockwise.
There is an offset for each measured data. The offset considered in the paper to zero the different measurements is the value measured at the end of the first rest period. A summary of all the tests main parameters is given in the summary Excel file.
|Date made available||May 2021|
|Publisher||University of Dundee|
- 2 Finished
Development of Screw Anchors for Floating Marine Renewable Energy Systems Arrays Incorporating Anchor Sharing (SAFS) (Joint with University of Liege)
1/08/17 → 31/07/19
Cerfontaine, B., White, D., Kwa, K., Gourvenec, S. M., Knappett, J. A. & Brown, M. J., 1 Jul 2023, In: Ocean Engineering. 279, 20 p., 114327.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
Field investigation to evaluate the uplift capacity and installation performance of screw piles in sandBittar, E., Lehane, B., Richards, D., Blake, A., White, D., Brown, M. & Davidson, C., 5 May 2022, Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering. Sydney: Australian Geomechanics Society, Vol. 2. p. 3195-3200 6 p.
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Conference contributionOpen AccessFile
Cerfontaine, B., Brown, M., Knappett, J., Sharif, Y. & Davidson, C., 5 May 2022, p. 1081-1086.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Paper › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
Davidson, Craig (Recipient), Brown, Michael (Recipient), Cerfontaine, Benjamin (Recipient), Knappett, Jonathan (Recipient), Brennan, Andrew (Recipient), Al-Baghdadi, Therar (Recipient), Augarde, Charles (Recipient), Coombs, William M. (Recipient), Wang, Lei (Recipient), Blake, Anthony (Recipient), Richards, David (Recipient) & Ball, Jonathan David (Recipient), 2023
Prize: Prize (including medals and awards)