Projects per year
Research Fellow/Co-I Richard Demarco The Italian Connection, (PI Elaine Shemilt) 2018-2020
PDRA AHRC European Women's Video Art (Prof Elaine Shemilt P.I.) 2015-2017
PDRA AHRC REWIND Italia (Prof Stephen Partridge P.I.) 2011-2014
Laura Leuzzi is a contemporary art historian, curator and author. Leuzzi earned her PhD in “Tools and Methods for the History of Art” with a thesis in Contemporary Art at Sapienza Università di Roma in 2011. Her research is particularly focused on early video art, art and feminism and new media.
Currently she is Research Fellow and Co-Investigator on the AHRC funded research project Richard Demarco: The Italian Connection (DJCAD, University of Dundee, March 2018 - July 2020), led by Prof. Elaine Shemilt.
She is Co-Investigator on the RSE funded research project Digital Art and Activism (2019-2021).
From 2011 to 2013 she was Post Doctoral Research Assistant, on the AHRC funded project REWINDItalia at DJCAD, University of Dundee.
From March 2015 to February 2018, she was PDRA on the AHRC funded research project ‘EWVA European Women’s Video Art in the 70s and 80s’, based at DJCAD, University of Dundee. As PDRA on REWINDItalia and EWVA Dr Leuzzi has built a wide network of contacts within Europe which include artists, curators, collectors, scholars, technicians, gallerists, authors, involving institutions such as universities and art academies, foundations, archives and museums.
She is co-editor with S. Partridge of REWIND Early Video Art in Italy/I primi anni della videoarte in Italia (John Libbey Publishing, New Barnet, 2015), launched at CCA Glasgow (Dec 2015), Central Saint Martin, London (Feb 2016), British School in Rome (Apr 2016).
She has curated several exhibitions, performative events and screenings onvideo art including: REWINDItalia at VideoEX (Zurich 2014), Autoritratti at The Showroom (December 2015), Self/Portraits ( Centrespace, Dundee, December 2016), Deoppelganfer (Nunnery Galley, London, 2016), The Time is Right for (Summerhall, Edinburgh August September 2017). Her video project Unter de Himmel vo Züri (Under Zurich's sky) has been screened at ZHdK University of Arts Zurich (2016).
Since 2016 she sits on the Curatorial Board of the Rome Media Art Festival.
- Nov 2007- May 2011, Ph.D. in “Strumenti e Metodi per la Storia dell’Arte” (Tools and methods for History of Art) with full State scholarship, Sapienza Università di Roma, obtained May 13th 2011. Dissertation in History of Contemporary Art (L-ART/03): L’elenco, la classificazione e il catalogo come pratiche artistiche nel Novecento (“Lists, classifications and catalogues as artistic practices in the 20th century”), Department of History of Art, Faculty of Lettere e Filosofia, Sapienza Università di Roma, Italy. Supervisor: Professor Antonella Sbrilli. Grade: Excellent
- 2006-2007, Postgraduate Master AMP (Art Management Psychology), with full scholarship, full marks and honor, Sapienza Università di Roma
- 2004-2006, Research Master’s Degree in History of Contemporary Art, Magna cum laude, Sapienza Università di Roma. Thesis: Sophie Calle. Catalogo ragionato delle opere (1979-2006) (“Sophie Calle. Catalogue of Works (1979-2006)”), Advisor: Prof. A. Sbrilli Eletti, co- advisor: M. G. Tolomeo
- 2001-04, Bachelor Degree History of Art, Magna cum laude, Sapienza Università di Roma. Thesis: Contemporary art, Title: Paul Auster e l’arte contemporanea: dall’ekphrasis allo scambio finzione/realtà (Paul Auster and Contemporary Art: from Ekphrasis to the Exchange Reality Fiction).
Participation in Financed Research Projects
- currently Research Fellow and Co-Investigator on the AHRC funded research project Richard Demarco Th Italian Connection.
- from March 2015 to March 2018 AHRC Post Doctoral Research Fellow for EWVA
- July 2013 to 2015 REWINDItalia Fellow (associate position)
- May 2011 to July 2nd 2013, AHRC Post Doctoral Research Assistant, based in Rome, for REWINDItalia, Research Grant (£217,000.00) at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design, University of Dundee, Principal Investigator: Prof. Stephen Partridge; CI: Dr Anna Notaro (2011-12); Prof. Sean Cubitt (Goldsmiths).
- 2009,as a PhD student took part toProgetto di Ateneo Federato 2009 Tre diari d'artista (Three diaries of artists), PI: Prof. Antonella Sbrilli; Role: research on Joseph Cornell’s diary.
- 2008,as a PhD student took part toRicerca Ateneo Federato 2008 Sguardi italiani su Joseph Cornell (Italian glances on Joseph Cornell), PI: prof.ssa Antonella Sbrilli. Role: research on the subject in the Libraries and in the Archives in Italy and in France.
- 2007, freelance collaboration at Ricerca di Università 2007 La visualizzazione mentale dell'opera d'arte (The Mental Visualization of the artwork);coordinator: prof.ssa Antonella Sbrilli. Role: coordinating the students in the retrieval of the content for the database Gallerie della Letteratura Italiana (Gallery of Italian Litterature) and work on the database.
Professional experience in the Art field:
- February-April 2013, Collaboration with Fondazione La Quadriennale di Roma for the symposium “E’ l’arte, bellezza…e tu non puoi farci niente” on art and communication, with a focus on art magazines in Italy. Role: research, organization and communication.
- Since November 2009, Exam committee member for History of Contemporary Art, Sapienza (reference: Prof. Antonella Sbrilli)
- February-May 2012, Collaboration with Fondazione La Quadriennale di Roma; role: I inventoried the library of an art collector who is donating her library to the Foundation.
- November 2010-March 2011, Organization of the collateral events (conferences and educational activities) for the exhibition Ah, che Rebus (Roma, Istituto Nazionale per la Grafica, 17th November -8th March 2011)
- September 2009to today, Editor (Contemporary Art) of “Rolsa – rivista on line di storia dell’arte”, Journal of Dipartimento di Storia dell’Arte e Spettacolo, Sapienza Università di Roma.
- 2005-2010, Tutor of Undergraduate and Master Students at Department of History of Art, Sapienza Università di Roma
- July 2010, Curator of the exhibition and conference dieciluglioduemilaotto)+2 (Roma, Sala Cittadina “Igino Giordani”, 10th July 2010)
- April-July 2010, Internship Archivio Alighiero Boetti (Roma)
- July 2009, Curator of one day exhibition and performance (dieciluglioduemilaotto)+1: tre punti di vista su una performance (Roma, MLAC Museo Laboratorio d’Arte Contemporanea della Sapienza, Università di Roma; Sala 1 Centro Internazionale d’Arte Contemporanea; Yahoo!Answers, 10th July 2009)
- September-December 2008, Science Editor for the multimedia and the website of the exhibition Italidea (Guadalajara, Messico; Città del Messico), organized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Italian Republic (production: Dinamo Italia 2008; http://www.italideaexhibit.com/)
- August 2008, Curator of the exhibition Artefacta e le Biennali del Mondo (Mestre, Centro Culturale Candiani, 26th – 14th September).
- 2007-2008, Internship at the Exhibition Department of Fondazione La Quadriennale di Roma involved in the organization of XVth Quadriennale di Roma
- June-July 2007, Science Editor of Artefacta produced by Istituto dell’Enciclopedia Italiana Treccani and Dinamo Italia; curator: Mary Angela Schroth (Sala 1); director: Stefano Scialotti. (http://www.treccanilab.com/biennale_di_venezia)
- March-July 2007, Curator of the performance Commissaires refusés de Sophie Calle, in collaboration with prof. A. Sbrilli (Sapienza Università di Roma) and the film director Stefano Scialotti; Venice Biennale, 10th July 2007.
- January-July 2007, Collaboration as web content editor with Associazione Culturale Palladio, Roma. (http://www.palazzidiroma.it; http://www.villediroma.com)
- December 2006-January 2007, Exhibition Baltico-Mediterraneo. Finlandia e Italia a confronto, (Roma, Museo Nazionale di Castel Sant’Angelo, 23rd January – 10th April 2007), Scientific Board
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Doctor of Philosophy, L’elenco, la classificazione e il catalogo come pratiche artistiche nel Novecento (“Lists, classifications and catalogues as artistic practices in the 20th century”), University of Rome La Sapienza
Award Date: 1 Jan 2011
- N Visual arts (General) For photography, see TR
- video art
- history of art
- women's art
- 1 Similar Profiles
Collaborations and top research areas from the last five years
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
- 2 Finished
1/03/19 → 28/02/21
Richard Demarco, The Italian Connection, Exchanges Between Scotland and Italy through Richard Demarco in the European Context
1/03/18 → 31/01/21
Leuzzi, L., 2020. Translated title of the contribution: At the mirror: European women video pioneers between identity and representation
Research output: Contribution to conference › Paper › peer-reviewOpen Access
Approaches, Strategies and Theoretical and Practice-Based Research Methods to investigate and archive video art: Some reflections from the REWIND projectsLeuzzi, L., Partridge, S. & Lockhart, A., May 2020, Electronic Workshops in Computing: MAH2019 Conference Proceedings. BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, p. 274-282 9 p. (Electronic Workshops in Computing (eWiC)).
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Conference contributionOpen AccessFile87 Downloads (Pure)
Edimburgo – Roma 1967, connessioni italo-scozzesi sulle tracce della mostra Contemporary Italian Art alla Richard Demarco GalleryLeuzzi, L., Jan 2020, In: Storia dell'arte. 151/152
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Leuzzi, L., Shemilt, E. & Partridge, S., 1 May 2020, Sopravvivenza programmata.: Etiche e pratiche di conservazione dall'arte cinetica alla Net Art. Catricalà, V. & Quaranta, D. (eds.). 1 ed. Rome: Kappabit, p. 255 Translated title of the contribution: EWVA European Women's Video Art in the 70s and 80s: a case study
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter
Delappe, J., Leuzzi, L., Lockhart, A. & Lushetich, N., 2020
Research output: Non-textual form › Exhibition
Leuzzi, Laura (Recipient), 19 Mar 2021
Prize: Prize (including medals and awards)
24 Sept 2019
Activity: Other activity types › Public engagement and outreach - public lecture/debate/seminar
23 Nov 2019
Activity: Other activity types › Public engagement and outreach - public lecture/debate/seminar
23 Nov 2019
Activity: Other activity types › Other
Dika, P. Review of Oliver Grau, Janina Hoth, & Eveline Wandl-Vogt (Eds.) (2019). Digital Art through the Looking Glass: New strategies for archiving, collecting and preserving in digital humanities
1 item of Media coverage