Early outcomes and satisfaction with balloon eustachian tuboplasty in a UK population

G. Hogg (Lead / Corresponding author), L. McMurran, P. Spielmann, S. Jones

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


Aim: Chronic Eustachian tube dysfunction (ETD) is a multifactorial con-dition affecting 4% worldwide. Treatment of ETD is difficult, and no formal consensus on management exists. Balloon Eustachian Tuboplasty (BET)potentially offers a long-term solution, though this technique has yet to be widely adopted in the UK. The aim of this study was to evaluate early outcomes and satisfaction with BET in a UK population.

Method: An observational study was conducted involving 20 patients in a tertiary care hospital with resistant ETD. Otoscopic findings, audiograms and tympanograms were recorded pre- and post- op.

Results: Middle ear effusion was the indication in 95% of patients. Post-operatively 55.56% patients showed an improvement in their conductivehearing loss. 50% of the total patients displayed normal hearing post-operatively, compared to only 10% pre-operatively. At 6 month follow up 60% of patients reported complete symptom resolution.

Conclusion: Balloon Eustachian tuboplasty is a safe, easy and effective procedure. Our findings show a marked improvement in hearing for the majority of patients who suffered from resistant ETD. At 6 months it continues to show strong evidence of symptom resolution and patient satisfaction.
Original languageEnglish
Article number0908
Pages (from-to)S59
Number of pages1
JournalInternational Journal of Surgery
Issue numberSupplement 1
Publication statusPublished - Jul 2018

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery


Dive into the research topics of 'Early outcomes and satisfaction with balloon eustachian tuboplasty in a UK population'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this