The effects of KT3-671, a new angiotensin II (AT 1) receptor blocker in mild to moderate hypertension

D. Patterson (Lead / Corresponding author), J. Webster, G. McInnes, A. Brady, T. MacDonald

    Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

    5 Citations (Scopus)


    Aims: To compare the antihypertensive effect, and tolerability and safety of once daily doses of KT3-671 with that of placebo in patients with mild to moderate uncomplicated essential hypertension. Methods: A randomised, multicentre, double blind, parallel-group comparison of KT3-671 with placebo. Hypertensive patients [Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitoring (ABPM), mean daytime DBP > 90 mmHg, Office sitting mean DBP 95-114 after a 7-28 day washout period] entered a 2-week, single blind, run-in phase. Patients eligible for the double-blind phase were randomised to receive KT3-671 40 mg, 80 mg, 160 mg or placebo once daily over 4 weeks. The primary end-point was trough mean sitting office DBP The study had 90% power to detect a 5 mmHg change between treatments and placebo at the 5% level of significance. The secondary end-points were 24 hour, daytime and night time mean ABPM. Results: Office DBP was significantly lower with KT3-671 40 mg but not the other 2 dosage groups (-3.2; 95% CL -6.1:-0.3 P < 0.03). Office SBP was significantly reduced with all dosage groups (40 mg -5.9, 95% CL -11:-0.9; 80 mg -4.9, 95% CL -9.9:0.1 and 160 mg -5.7, 95% CL -10.8:-0.7 P < 0.05). All doses of KT3-671 reduced systolic and diastolic ABPM. The number of patients with treatment related adverse events were comparable to placebo (38.8% KT3-671 vs 32.8% placebo). There was some evidence of a dose-response relationship with fall in nocturnal ABPM. Conclusions: Oral KT3-671 was well tolerated. KT3-671 reduced office systolic BP at all doses and diastolic BP at some of the doses. Due to greater precision and power, the falls in mean ambulatory systolic and diastolic pressure were all significantly lower than placebo.

    Original languageEnglish
    Pages (from-to)513-519
    Number of pages7
    JournalBritish Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
    Issue number5
    Publication statusPublished - Nov 2003


    • Angiotensin II
    • Blood pressure
    • Hypertension
    • Receptors

    ASJC Scopus subject areas

    • Pharmacology
    • Pharmacology (medical)


    Dive into the research topics of 'The effects of KT3-671, a new angiotensin II (AT 1) receptor blocker in mild to moderate hypertension'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

    Cite this