The multicellularity genes of dictyostelid social amoebas

Pauline Schaap (Lead / Corresponding author), Gernot Gloeckner, Hajara M. Lawal, Reema Singh, Gail Singer, Cornelis Weijer, Pauline Schaap (Lead / Corresponding author)

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

27 Citations (Scopus)
137 Downloads (Pure)

Abstract

The evolution of multicellularity enabled specialization of cells, but required novel signalling mechanisms for regulating cell differentiation. Early multicellular organisms are mostly extinct and the origins of these mechanisms are unknown. Here using comparative genome and transcriptome analysis across eight uni- and multicellular amoebozoan genomes, we find that 80% of proteins essential for the development of multicellular Dictyostelia are already present in their unicellular relatives. This set is enriched in cytosolic and nuclear proteins, and protein kinases. The remaining 20%, unique to Dictyostelia, mostly consists of extracellularly exposed and secreted proteins, with roles in sensing and recognition, while several genes for synthesis of signals that induce cell-type specialization were acquired by lateral gene transfer. Across Dictyostelia, changes in gene expression correspond more strongly with phenotypic innovation than changes in protein functional domains. We conclude that the transition to multicellularity required novel signals and sensors rather than novel signal processing mechanisms.
Original languageEnglish
Article number12085
Number of pages11
JournalNature Communications
Volume7
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 30 Jun 2016

Fingerprint

amoeba
Amoeba
genes
Genes
Genome
proteins
Horizontal Gene Transfer
Gene Expression Profiling
Nuclear Proteins
Protein Kinases
genome
Gene transfer
Cell Differentiation
Proteins
Gene Expression
Gene expression
cells
Signal processing
Innovation
gene expression

Cite this

Schaap, Pauline ; Gloeckner, Gernot ; Lawal, Hajara M. ; Singh, Reema ; Singer, Gail ; Weijer, Cornelis ; Schaap, Pauline. / The multicellularity genes of dictyostelid social amoebas. In: Nature Communications. 2016 ; Vol. 7.
@article{ccdb29d9292b46e3adb5d3b9c0ca5ea0,
title = "The multicellularity genes of dictyostelid social amoebas",
abstract = "The evolution of multicellularity enabled specialization of cells, but required novel signalling mechanisms for regulating cell differentiation. Early multicellular organisms are mostly extinct and the origins of these mechanisms are unknown. Here using comparative genome and transcriptome analysis across eight uni- and multicellular amoebozoan genomes, we find that 80{\%} of proteins essential for the development of multicellular Dictyostelia are already present in their unicellular relatives. This set is enriched in cytosolic and nuclear proteins, and protein kinases. The remaining 20{\%}, unique to Dictyostelia, mostly consists of extracellularly exposed and secreted proteins, with roles in sensing and recognition, while several genes for synthesis of signals that induce cell-type specialization were acquired by lateral gene transfer. Across Dictyostelia, changes in gene expression correspond more strongly with phenotypic innovation than changes in protein functional domains. We conclude that the transition to multicellularity required novel signals and sensors rather than novel signal processing mechanisms.",
author = "Pauline Schaap and Gernot Gloeckner and Lawal, {Hajara M.} and Reema Singh and Gail Singer and Cornelis Weijer and Pauline Schaap",
year = "2016",
month = "6",
day = "30",
doi = "10.1038/ncomms12085",
language = "English",
volume = "7",
journal = "Nature Communications",
issn = "2041-1723",
publisher = "Nature Publishing Group",

}

The multicellularity genes of dictyostelid social amoebas. / Schaap, Pauline (Lead / Corresponding author); Gloeckner, Gernot; Lawal, Hajara M.; Singh, Reema; Singer, Gail; Weijer, Cornelis; Schaap, Pauline (Lead / Corresponding author).

In: Nature Communications, Vol. 7, 12085, 30.06.2016.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

TY - JOUR

T1 - The multicellularity genes of dictyostelid social amoebas

AU - Schaap, Pauline

AU - Gloeckner, Gernot

AU - Lawal, Hajara M.

AU - Singh, Reema

AU - Singer, Gail

AU - Weijer, Cornelis

AU - Schaap, Pauline

PY - 2016/6/30

Y1 - 2016/6/30

N2 - The evolution of multicellularity enabled specialization of cells, but required novel signalling mechanisms for regulating cell differentiation. Early multicellular organisms are mostly extinct and the origins of these mechanisms are unknown. Here using comparative genome and transcriptome analysis across eight uni- and multicellular amoebozoan genomes, we find that 80% of proteins essential for the development of multicellular Dictyostelia are already present in their unicellular relatives. This set is enriched in cytosolic and nuclear proteins, and protein kinases. The remaining 20%, unique to Dictyostelia, mostly consists of extracellularly exposed and secreted proteins, with roles in sensing and recognition, while several genes for synthesis of signals that induce cell-type specialization were acquired by lateral gene transfer. Across Dictyostelia, changes in gene expression correspond more strongly with phenotypic innovation than changes in protein functional domains. We conclude that the transition to multicellularity required novel signals and sensors rather than novel signal processing mechanisms.

AB - The evolution of multicellularity enabled specialization of cells, but required novel signalling mechanisms for regulating cell differentiation. Early multicellular organisms are mostly extinct and the origins of these mechanisms are unknown. Here using comparative genome and transcriptome analysis across eight uni- and multicellular amoebozoan genomes, we find that 80% of proteins essential for the development of multicellular Dictyostelia are already present in their unicellular relatives. This set is enriched in cytosolic and nuclear proteins, and protein kinases. The remaining 20%, unique to Dictyostelia, mostly consists of extracellularly exposed and secreted proteins, with roles in sensing and recognition, while several genes for synthesis of signals that induce cell-type specialization were acquired by lateral gene transfer. Across Dictyostelia, changes in gene expression correspond more strongly with phenotypic innovation than changes in protein functional domains. We conclude that the transition to multicellularity required novel signals and sensors rather than novel signal processing mechanisms.

U2 - 10.1038/ncomms12085

DO - 10.1038/ncomms12085

M3 - Article

C2 - 27357338

VL - 7

JO - Nature Communications

JF - Nature Communications

SN - 2041-1723

M1 - 12085

ER -